Keeping your skin hydrated is the most important and basic need of your skin. All skin types, whether it’s dry/sensitive, oily, or combination can have dehydration problem.
How do I know if my skin is dehydrated?
First of all, you should hydrate your skin and prevent dehydration. Doesn’t matter which type of skin you have, you should use moisturizers to keep your skin hydrated. We will talk about the moisturizers and what to use for different type of skins extensively in a separate post.
Below are a few signs that is telling your skin is dehydrated:
- Dull-looking skin
- Rough texture
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Flaky skin
- Fine lines and wrinkles
Note: Oily skins are exposed to dehydration as much as other types. In fact when your skin is oilier it could be a sign of dehydration as the skin tried to compensate the lack of water. So it is important to moisturize your skin, exfoliate and cleanse two times a day if you have an oily skin.
What causes skin dehydration?
There are several factors that can cause skin dehydration among those, below we listed the most common ones:
- excess use of alcohol and cigarette
- environmental factors
- cosmetic products
- medical/cosmetic treatments such as anti-acne medication
How to prevent dehydration?
- Water; Drink enough water.
- Cleansing; Use the right Cleanser -non aggressive- that doesn’t contain detergents and fragrances. If you have sensitive/dry skin, Choose milk cleansers over other types.
- Day/night cream; Apply day cream twice a day to keep your skin’s moisture balanced and to prevent dryness. Adding a moisturizer mask to your weekly routine is a great step toward maintaining a healthy and well hydrated skin. If you have sensitive/dry skin, choose moisture masks/serum containing ingredients such as Hyaluronic Acid that are able to hold an unusually large amount of water per molecular. We will write about Hyaluronic Acid soon in a separate article. A great example of a product that designed to battle dehydration but also signs of aging and fine lines is Mesoestetic HA Densimatrix 30ml.
- Weekly Exfoliating; removing the dead cells and having clean pores improve the absorption of the products especially the moisturizers. Read this article to know more about different types of exfoliators and how often you should exfoliate.